Hi all; you're going to like this post, because with SecondSlide you can share any images with anyone. And it's FREE. We're going to take this step-by-step, please follow along and really do this. You do not need to install any software.
First, you need an image or two to share. For this test you can use any images at all, whole-slide images, photomicrographs, or pictures of your kids. Typically whole-slide images will be in SVS, TIFF, or JP2 format, but they could be NDPI or MRXS. No problem, they are all supported. Phtomicrographs are usually JPEG or TIFF, sometimes JP2. All are okay. And pictures of your kids are most likely JPEG.
Note: SecondSlide is designed to deal with the huge whole-slide images used in digital pathology.
Next you need to decide who you're going to send the pictures, it can be anyone who has an email address. They do not have to sign up ahead of time, or install any software.
- On the SecondSlide home page, click "Sign Up" in the top right corner. You'll see this:
- Fill in the form with your name and email address, and click Sign Up. You will see this form:
- You will receive an email from SecondSlide welcoming you to the service. This email includes a temporary password. Enter your email address and the temporary password, and click User Login. You will see this form:
- Enter a new password (in both fields) and click Save. You'll see a page with the terms and conditions of the SecondSlide service. There are no hidden fees or weird provisions, we promise! After you've read this page, go to the bottom and click "I agree". You will see this page:
- Okay, you're signed up! (that was pretty painless, right?) Now let's share some images. Click on Upload a New Case. You'll see this page:
- In the Message for Recipients field, you can type any message you'd like to identify the images you are sending. In this case, you could type "sharing my first case with SecondSlide", or something like that. Then enter the email address of the person with whom you want to share the images. You can send the images to more than one person, just separate their email address with a comma. Remember, the recipients need not have joined SecondSlide yet, you can share with anyone.
Use the check boxes to specify whether you allow receipients to modify the case informaiton, and whether you allow them to re-share the case. Then click Share Case. You will see this page:
- In the top of the page, you can specify Case information. You don't have to enter anything at all, but if you'd like enter as much information as you wish. You can also enter Specimen information if you'd like. Please note SecondSlide is secure and HIPAA compliant.
- Next scroll the page down to the Digital Slide Information, which looks like this:
- Here you identify the slides and images you wish to share. There can be multiple images for each slide, as well as multiple slides in the case. To specify the image(s) for the slide, click the Images of Slide button. You will see the following dialog:
- Next select one of more images for the slide on your computer. As noted above, SecondSlide supports many different kinds of images, including SVS, JPEG, TIFF, JP2, etc. The images can be large whole-slide images created by a scanner, or smaller photomicrographs made with a camera. After you have selected the image(s) for this slide, click Open. If you are using the demo images provided above, select them both. The page will look like this:
- You will see one line for each image you selected (I selected two in this example).
- You could add images for another slide to the case being shared by clicking the Add Digital Slide button, but in this example let's say we are only sharing one slide. Next click Add Case.
- The images you specified will each be uploaded to SecondSlide. Depending on the size of the images, this could happen almost instantly, or could take a few mintes. You will see progress indications as the slides are copied:
When all the images have been uploaded, you'll see a "Case Successfully Shared" message.
- That's it, you're done!
Your recipient(s) will receive an email notification that a SecondSlide case has been shared with them. If they have not already joined SecondSlide, they will be walked through the process, and then they'll be able to view the images you've shared with them.
That's it, you can use SecondSlide to share any images with anyone, for FREE. And all without installing any software!